Season 5 completed

Snap Matt

Season 5 completed

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:39 am

Firstly, Formula E has done well to keep on growing when most new series have died within maybe three years. The current generation of cars still look good and are now fast enough to provide some impressive images each round.

While F1 struggles with continual domination by one team or another, FE seems to have the complete opposite situation, with eight winners this season from seven teams. In some ways that is worse as nobody seems to know why anyone is ever fast or slow and if you can't judge where the teams rank, it is harder to spot an exceptional driver performance. I am not sure that Buemi being able to go from thirteenth to second in the standings over the last four or five races, only winning in the penultimate round, is a good thing or if it says that the results are more down to luck. JEV winning with 136 points after thirteen rounds isn't a great scoring rate (it looks like four points came from poles and fastest laps during the year too), but is that what F1 ought to be rather than the championship leader only being about thirty points off a maximum score at the moment? I think FE takes unpredictability to the point where the series loses some credibility, and it feels like there is less at stake, so F1 couldn't go this far and FE might need to move away from it in time too.

Attack mode was fun, particularly in the races where they had to go way off line to activate it and more so when drivers occasionally missed it. I wish they had experimented more with its implementation, but it is more interesting than DRS or other gimmicks to spice up racing.

The biggest shame is that it has such a low profile and massive gaps in the calendar. It is great to see there will be a London race in just over a year from now and I hope to head down for one day at least.