Grand Prix Driver

A look at the less serious side of Formula 1 and the people that make it happen
Snap Matt

Grand Prix Driver

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 am

I had really been looking forward to the new Amazon series, following McLaren in 2017. In my mind, it was going to be an update to the amazing BBC series covering the full 1993 season that really helped me build my interest in F1.

Instead they made four half hour episodes, covering the final stages of assembling the launch car to realising how bad the power unit was. Then they cover the entire season in a couple of minutes with about four captions and a snatched meeting with a few journalists including James Allen in a Singapore hotel lobby an hour before the split with Honda was announced.

The degree of panic ahead of the car launch was surprising - perhaps all teams are always that far behind at this time of year, although it does sound like an exceptionally bad year in the meetings that were filmed. Stoffel comes across as a somewhat humourless chap and Alonso as not being overly engaged with the team (I am sure that is only a reflection of his off-season demeanour). There is a great moment with Matt Bishop briefing the drivers ahead of the car launch, showing the contrast behind their actual opinions and what they know they need to say.

It is an interesting series with some good insight it to what goes on, but falls far short of what it could have been. Amazon certainly shouldn't be selling any new Prime subscriptions off the back of this series anyway.