The season long Mercedes race thread.

F1 news and discussions
ale

The season long Mercedes race thread.

Post by ale » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm

No need to start another race by race thread, no one's watching and the result seems preordained .

I'll start the Mercedes Austria Gp congratulatory pat on the back 'for a job well done' a week early, may as well. :tumbleweed:

funkyfreddy

Re: The season long Mercedes race thread.

Post by funkyfreddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Is anyone still actually watching this shit?

It's bad enough all of us knowing before the weekend has began that merc will win but the bullshit about how "Ferrari should do well" "it wasnt an easy race for merc" "Ferrari have an extra engine mode merc don't have" etc just makes it even more of a farce.

Just give the titles to the spoilt brat already and let's be kind to the environment and cancel the irrelevant rest of the season.

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:15 am

Austria only has about eight real corners and I think they're forecasting another hot weekend, so that might limit the car's relative advantage at the next race. Hamilton doesn't really go very well there either, although Bottas I think tends to be quick around that track. Hamilton at least would hope to be strong at the next few races after that. Spa is hard to predict the day before, let alone now, and surely Ferrari will have the fastest car at Monza, if the race was held now anyway.

I won't be putting money on a non-Mercedes driver taking the title, but individual races ought to mix things up a bit. Don't forget that at least half of Hamilton's wins this season have had a strong element of luck or circumstance in them. These runs all come to an end, often with a sting in the tail.

ale

Post by ale » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Well there's a turnip for the books, it isn't a merc 1-2 from qually.

I'll be watching the race part time as India/England match looks far more fun :thumbs: :pint: :pint:

funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Suddenly after last weekends backlash merc are nowhere this weekend.

*cough* WWE *cough*

herb

Post by herb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:17 pm

ha ha yeah spot on Freddy! I genuinely believe they will try to keep it as close as possible "for the sake of the sport", but I've thought F1 is rigged to an extent for years now, WWE style.

They even try to "engage" people WWE style ... hours of useless data sold as "insights" trying to dupe viewers into believing that the race isn't a foregone conclusion. At least WWE was entertaining, I loved watching Stone Cold and Kurt Angle go at each other out of the ring, well funny (abeit 20 years ago lol)

I'll be surprised when someone wins who isn't driving a Merc, Ferrari or Red Bull :thumbs:

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am

Just watch as the 2021 proposals get watered down further and further until the same top three have all their financial advantages set in stone for another decade.

That said, there is a good argument for Mercedes to bow out after next season and switch their attentions to their FE team. They can only lose ground from their current position, spending far too much on technologies that will only get further and further from their core business.

herb

Post by herb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm

yeah you're porbably right, the top 3 pretty have far too much of a say in F1.

F1 used to be about the best drivers in the world. Then they started talking about technology, and said it was the most advanced motorpsort in the world, now they just bang on about how fast the cars can corner. The latter two are of no interest to fans given that the former no longer applies (how many drivers hint they're bored in races?).

For me, F1 will still be the same farce and will only get worse/more WWE because as Matt hinted, the 3 big car makers involved have made sure their financials add up, and that's their primary goal. That's not a sport. It's big firms using what was a sport to test road car technology and get a shed load of PR, is F1 just a bi-weely corporate event these days?

4 things I think will "fix" F1 (and it only takes these 4):

1) wings - to be the same dimensions and angles as the 1985 cars (Mansell/Prost era)
2) tyres - drivers should be able to go as fast as they can, and the tyres must be far more resistant to flat-spotting as this ruins races (who wants to have a lunge up the inside if you have to pit for new tyres after?). They should be consistent in performance, then fall off a cliff for say the last 3 laps of their life.
3) gearboxes - back to manual boxes with a clutch, no electronics allowed i.e. launch control. This sets all drivers up equally for the abilty to fuck it up at any point in the race, especially the starts. Pressing a button takes no talent whatsoever.
4) engines - bin the hybrid rubbish, it is the main reason the manufacturers have such a grip on F1 currently. Go back to V10's or V12's. F1 is supposed to be dramatic, loud ... a massive sense of theatre. The noise should scare people, kids should cry it's that loud. The reason I say to change engines is that if the FIA say one engine has to last 2 weekends, it still keeps regular costs down in that they're not allowed one qually engine and one race one, but it makes F1 far more accessible to new teams. Lets face it, it would be massively difficult for even Geoff Bezos to build a team from scratch, and he's the richest guy on the planet.

If F1 did these 4 things it would make F1 probably the most talked about sport in the world, and the viewing figures would show it, as would race day attendance.

ale

Post by ale » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

funkyfreddy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:18 pm
Suddenly after last weekends backlash merc are nowhere this weekend.

*cough* WWE *cough*
I did watch some of the race* and as good as it was to see Honda get their first race win since.....cripes it's awhile...Button '06? and suddenly we're told that the racing's unpredictable again.
Yep, the Mercs had cooling issues but I suspect it'll business at usual for most of the race tracks left this year.

I've seen enough dominance in the past with all teams and still watched on but this now seems different with leading teams having far too much input and controlling interest in the sport to the detriment of it all.

I do rue the nonsensical changes to the DNA of F1 regarding the over complicated engines. What the hell's wrong with a cosworth DFV and a hewland gearbox approach?
Of course aero and chassis design would keep the top teams ahead but this gap is F1 and after the top three F2.

Will renault, merc or honda be offering me a road car that revs to 16k with mguh regeneration, push to pass ect, i think not. So why's it bloody relevant to them staying in the sport?

I'm seriously in danger of not watching any more.

*I spent most of the GP watching the india/england match, I could have left it for an hour and a half for the race but even I'm becoming more than a bit disillusioned with F1

*minor rant over and breathe again.....

ale

Post by ale » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:54 pm

looking like another pat on the back race for mercedes.

I am keeping an eye on the race but for the main will be watching the cricket world cup final. How gracious of Sky to let C4 broadcast that.