How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

F1 news and discussions
herb
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: South Manchester

How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by herb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:13 pm

I know a lot of people feel F1 isn't how they think it should be, so what would be your “Formula” (regulations) if it was up to you?

Mine are as follows:
V12 or V10 naturally aspirated engines as the only power source (so no electric motors, KERS or anything like it)
Refuelling allowed, restricted flow rate for safety and race interest
No flow rate restriction on fuel usage for cars – use as much fuel as you want
No Halo
Tyres that can safely do a race, but performance drops consistently over the race
Reduced front and rear wings (cars to look like they did in 1990 in this respect)
Bigger tyres, slicks for dry races (cars to look like they did in 1990 in this respect)
Active Suspension allowed
Skirts not allowed
Diffuser allowed, “blowing” not allowed
Manual gearbox and clutch only, just like a normal road car
Launch control banned
Traction control and all electronic driver aids banned (so mechanical LSD’s are allowed)
Team name on all cars, must be the largest lettering on the car
Post race interviews in the press room, not on the podium
Drivers can change helmet design as often as they want

Tyre tests / car tests … 1 weekend in 4 (free for fans to attend)
Budgets capped on team spend
All teams get the same deals (including Ferrari)

Cars would look similar to this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1990+ ... 1557817516

User avatar
StevieFerrari
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by StevieFerrari » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I was watching an interview with Ross Braw on Sky where they were talking about this. Do they carry on mirroring and pushing future road car tech or decide that's not relevant to the sport at some point and diverge?

I've often thought that paddle gearboxes were cheating or not really what 'driving' is - it's a bit like giving high jumpers button-operated shoe springs that deploy at the point of the jump. It's still jumping over the bar but it's not really the same skill. That said, I quite liked KERS because there was some strategy and skill required.

I'd have 3L V8, normally aspirated, running on bio fuels
5 seconds of KERS per lap
Manual gears
Ground effects aero (sidepod venturi allowed in area between front and rear axle lines) but no skirts
Standard rear diffuser to channel air downwards
Standard front and rear wings for advertising with limited aero effect

herb
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: South Manchester

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by herb » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm

StevieFerrari wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm
I was watching an interview with Ross Braw on Sky where they were talking about this. Do they carry on mirroring and pushing future road car tech or decide that's not relevant to the sport at some point and diverge?

I've often thought that paddle gearboxes were cheating or not really what 'driving' is - it's a bit like giving high jumpers button-operated shoe springs that deploy at the point of the jump. It's still jumping over the bar but it's not really the same skill. That said, I quite liked KERS because there was some strategy and skill required.

I'd have 3L V8, normally aspirated, running on bio fuels
5 seconds of KERS per lap
Manual gears
Ground effects aero (sidepod venturi allowed in area between front and rear axle lines) but no skirts
Standard rear diffuser to channel air downwards
Standard front and rear wings for advertising with limited aero effect
I think they should diverge, or back to the real F1as I would say lol

Yeah I've always been the same with paddle boxes in F1, they take out so much margin for human error, which is what makes a good race and the best drivers.
KERS was good in a way, as like you say you have some human factor built in that skilled drivers could maximise on.

I'd also add to my rules that the current communications rules stay in place, driver coaching was a joke :rolleyes:

JMFangio
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 am

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by JMFangio » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Hmm Paddle boxes not being real. Any number of very expensive two seaters have them. In any case stick shifts are hardly mandatory in road cars. I've owned a number of automatics in my time & teh next car may well be one.

Of course DAF variomatic transmission was used on an F3 car (I think) several decades ago, but doubtless Herb won't think that was a 'real car'.

If you want racing to be in real cars for real men* then perhaps we should go back a bit further than the 1970s to this:

Image

*other genders are available.

User avatar
StevieFerrari
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by StevieFerrari » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am

JMFangio wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Hmm Paddle boxes not being real. Any number of very expensive two seaters have them. In any case stick shifts are hardly mandatory in road cars. I've owned a number of automatics in my time & teh next car may well be one.
I don't really follow you with the word"real" - neither Herb or I used that word. It's more about defining what 'driving' means. Automatic braking and traction control are unpopular because they're seen as making it too easy, so it's just a matter of where you draw the line. For me it's electric gearboxes - I'd rather there was a direct mechanical connection and a clutch.

User avatar
Snap Matt
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by Snap Matt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am

herb wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm
I'd also add to my rules that the current communications rules stay in place, driver coaching was a joke :rolleyes:
Did they not get opened back up again?

I would like it so only race control could speak to drivers during the race. The teams then design cars that can be driven without needing to navigate 75 combinations of settings. Pit stops could be tricky, but they would just need to implement something like the system from the old Geoff Crammond F1 games from the 90s to alert the team if the driver is coming in.

herb
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: South Manchester

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by herb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:31 pm

StevieFerrari wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am
JMFangio wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Hmm Paddle boxes not being real. Any number of very expensive two seaters have them. In any case stick shifts are hardly mandatory in road cars. I've owned a number of automatics in my time & teh next car may well be one.
I don't really follow you with the word"real" - neither Herb or I used that word. It's more about defining what 'driving' means. Automatic braking and traction control are unpopular because they're seen as making it too easy, so it's just a matter of where you draw the line. For me it's electric gearboxes - I'd rather there was a direct mechanical connection and a clutch.
ah no this might JMF still having issues with me :lol: I'd pull his post apart but I'd rather just blank him :lol:

I would love to see the configuration of a manual gearbox and clutch, as it creates endless opportunity for human error (race starts, wrong gear into a corner, missing a gear, breaking the gearbox and I'm sure others could list more). The more human error can affect the car, the more skill need to get it right, and after all these guys are supposed to be the best in the world.

herb
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: South Manchester

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by herb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Snap Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am
herb wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm
I'd also add to my rules that the current communications rules stay in place, driver coaching was a joke :rolleyes:
Did they not get opened back up again?

I would like it so only race control could speak to drivers during the race. The teams then design cars that can be driven without needing to navigate 75 combinations of settings. Pit stops could be tricky, but they would just need to implement something like the system from the old Geoff Crammond F1 games from the 90s to alert the team if the driver is coming in.
I'm not 100% as I've not read the regs, but I thought that comms are allowed, but not driver coaching. I could well be wrong though, the last few races of last year I watched on fast forward and only stopped if I saw a yellow flag or safety car, such was the "excitement" :lol:

User avatar
Humpty
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by Humpty » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm not sure what rule changes I'd advocate, but part of the consideration would include recognising a need to attract more engine suppliers to sport.

User avatar
Snap Matt
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by Snap Matt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:41 am

Making the rules commercially and/or technically viable is another thing altogether for this thread.

I suppose one of the upsides of the early 90s cars was that they still could find a reasonable tow when following another car. Now we only hear about cars losing grip. Perhaps F1 should look at the new Formula E car, with rear wings useful only to carry some light sponsorship but fitting a diffuser that small children could play hide and seek in. If a change like that could help cars to follow, at least the new Formula E car shows that a fairly unconventional design can look good.

Post Reply