How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

F1 news and discussions
funkyfreddy

Re: How would you design the "Formula" of F1? (regulations)

Post by funkyfreddy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 pm

• V10, twin turbo with KERs - Max speeds have not increased significantly in decades for F1 cars yet many road cars are now being able to get up to 200mph. With the cars being so much safer now lets get speeds up to 250mph on straights
  • Bring back gravel traps
  • No fuel flow limit
  • Some kind of wind tunnel/CFD calculated maximum downforce limit for both front and rear wings
  • open up most other technical rules to allow some actual innovation and team competition rather than one team dominating for multiple years
  • With potentially significantly faster lap times, lets make it more of an endurance for both cars + drivers. Race distances to be 25% longer.

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am

StevieFerrari wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am
JMFangio wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm
Hmm Paddle boxes not being real. Any number of very expensive two-seaters have them. In any case stick shifts are hardly mandatory in road cars. I've owned a number of automatics in my time & the next car may well be one.
I don't really follow you with the word"real" - neither Herb or I used that word. It's more about defining what 'driving' means. Automatic braking and traction control are unpopular because they're seen as making it too easy, so it's just a matter of where you draw the line. For me it's electric gearboxes - I'd rather there was a direct mechanical connection and a clutch.
Umm, herb, with whom I personally have no problems, don't know why he said that, said:
... or back to the real F1as I would say lol
So my point was simply that the "real F1" simply means whatever the writer prefers. Herb prefers early 1970s cars. I'm fairly certain that others would choose other eras. But if you want F1 to remain the pinnacle of technical car design then it has to be ahead of road cars in all features and leading them, not following, hence my comment about flappy paddles being on high-end road cars. If you take the opposite view and want to make the actual driving as hard as possible, then the further in time you back, the harder - and slower - it becomes.

StevieFerrari

Post by StevieFerrari » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm

JMFangio wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am
So my point was simply that the "real F1" simply means whatever the writer prefers. Herb prefers early 1970s cars. I'm fairly certain that others would choose other eras. But if you want F1 to remain the pinnacle of technical car design then it has to be ahead of road cars in all features and leading them, not following, hence my comment about flappy paddles being on high-end road cars. If you take the opposite view and want to make the actual driving as hard as possible, then the further in time you back, the harder - and slower - it becomes.
Yes, everyone might have a different idea what "driving" is, but that doesn't change my point about it being defined.

if you want to remain the pinnacle of motorsport and road-relevant, then staying ahead would mean fully electric from now, which means no real requirement for gearboxes at all. Essentially what you would be advocating is Formula E but with prototype chassis and formula-regulated power units. :thumbs:

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:13 pm

StevieFerrari wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm
JMFangio wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am
Yes, everyone might have a different idea what "driving" is, but that doesn't change my point about it being defined.

if you want to remain the pinnacle of motorsport and road-relevant, then staying ahead would mean fully electric from now, which means no real requirement for gearboxes at all. Essentially what you would be advocating is Formula E but with prototype chassis and formula-regulated power units. :thumbs:
Aye, road-relevant will mean exactly that. I'm not quite sure how the purists will react to driverless cars, as per Tesla etc. though. Maybe we could argue that we're going back to the days when Montoya just turned the wheel & everything else in the Williams was controlled from his pit.

herb

Post by herb » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 pm

I suppose this is what I consider "the real F1" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPiBtKVQQZM

Also, I feel that F1 drivers should not be able to get such a near perfect lap so frequently. It seems too easy for an F1 driver to get a lap with no mistakes compared to (for example) the car in the video. Whilst watching F1 become more advanced seemed good as it happened, I can't help feeling the introduction of aero (downforce) and playstation gearboxes have ruined the racing. I'd rather see the old cars aero with an up to date normally aspirated V10/V12 that can do well over 250mph down the straights, but are 10-20% slower in the corners. And of course manual boxes :lol: :whistling:
I feel part of the problem is this persuit of G-force through the bends.

Even Lewis agrees with me! :lol: ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKgW-gX7SI