The End of Formula 1 on Terrestrial TV

F1 news and discussions
herb

The End of Formula 1 on Terrestrial TV

Post by herb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

So this is the last year F1 will be shown on Terrestrial TV in the UK. :(

Based on last season, and the start of this season, I won't be buying more TV (I already pay my TV licence) to watch F1. You see, not only do I not want to pay any money to Rupert Murdoch's empire, but I don't want to give them my data either. It's valuable to me, and personal.

It seems a shame that the country that started the sport, grew the sport through Terrestrial TV, and has most of the teams based in it, has had this action taken against it.

I hope that Channel 4 continue to show highlights (like the BBC do with Match of the Day) and I'll watch that. If not, I think it's the end of my interest in F1. It's just plain boring, made watchable only by the people who present the shows.

What do you lot think? Will you be paying next year or giving it up? (I would have started a poll but couldn't find the option)

JMFangio

Re: The End of Formula 1 on Terrestrial TV

Post by JMFangio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Like you, there is no way I am paying anything to Sky. Like you, that probably means the interest will die, in my case after nearly fifty years.

Such is life.

Gilbert Dump
Site Admin

Post by Gilbert Dump » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

herb wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm
I would have started a poll but couldn't find the option
This isn't enabled by default (something I didn't know) and it didn't show up when I was testing the board.

I have enabled it for the Formula 1 forum now, and will do the others later when I have more time.

You should be able to edit your original post and add a poll.

StevieFerrari

Post by StevieFerrari » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm

herb wrote:
....You see, not only do I not want to pay any money to Rupert Murdoch's empire, but I don't want to give them my data either. It's valuable to me, and personal.
And yet, there you are on Facebook, fully visible with zero privacy settings :P :lol: :lol:

warrior princess

Post by warrior princess » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:48 pm

we watch the non live races on German TV can even get Eurosport 1 Germany which shows some of the MotoGP races :thumbs: we don't speak german but can usually follow whats happening and it doesn't cost us anything :nod:

kamui

Post by kamui » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:38 am

It's barely been on free to air here for a few years, but I had paid TV for it even before it moved there, so has been good for me as the coverage has improved a lot (no ads, all sessions, re-runs in the week etc).

ale

Post by ale » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:10 pm

C4 have done an excellent job of taking F1 coverage, and much like their last year of cricket coverage (2005?) have been sensible with the adverts.
I find myself unable to watch commercial TV as i'll wander off during the frequent and lengthy breaks and get to a point that i'm so distracted that I'll not return to whatever was being shown.
For this reason I do already have a prime and netflix subscription and there's always Iplayer too with it's forced subscription fee (if you live in the UK) but I have avoided SKY. There's loads of good sport on there if you like golf, footy, football, soccer and naked female mud wrestling but not enough to justify a subscription.
With NOW TV offering the whole F1 season for about £150....less, no far less than attending a single race, and a heck of a lot less than having a dish and monthly fees/unwanted sport I don't think the paywall is a problem given the coverage available. It just remains for me to get up and watch the unseasonably early races :lol:

There are worse people to pay money to than Mr Murdoch, admittedly not much worse* but it is a small distinction.

worse*.....oh why not have your personal details sold from you to whomever's interested without your strict consent? :whistling:

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 pm

ale wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:10 pm
worse*.....oh why not have your personal details sold from you to whomever's interested without your strict consent? :whistling:
Gil wouldn't do that, would he? :unsure:

herb

Post by herb » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Gilbert Dump wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am
herb wrote:
I would have started a poll but couldn't find the option
This isn't enabled by default (something I didn't know) and it didn't show up when I was testing the board.

I have enabled it for the Formula 1 forum now, and will do the others later when I have more time.

You should be able to edit your original post and add a poll.
sweeet thanks Gil :)
JMFangio wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 pm
StevieFerrari wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm
herb wrote:
....You see, not only do I not want to pay any money to Rupert Murdoch's empire, but I don't want to give them my data either. It's valuable to me, and personal.
And yet, there you are on Facebook, fully visible with zero privacy settings :P :lol: :lol:
lol ah yes, but that's my choice ;) :lol:

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 am

herb wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 pm
lol ah yes, but that's my choice ;) :lol:
Is it? I'm not a FacePalm user, but nobody I know who is can tell me where the Share all my data with Nigel Farage button is, and yet that's what they did, via Cambridge Analytica and VoteLeave.