Just out of interest (another TV broadcast thread)

F1 news and discussions
Bulge100

Just out of interest (another TV broadcast thread)

Post by Bulge100 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm

Just wondering if there's any reason why people who are not happy with having to pay the Evil Darth Murdoch their hard earned cash don't actually watch on RTL.
I started using it on the first season F1went part time terrestrial.
I used to turn the volume down and listen into 5 live but the laggy audio made for some unique races which only a degree in time travel would possibly rectify.
I now watch in full Glorious German and hardly notice the commentary. A lot of things are said in English anyway which I touched on in the other thread.
It's cheap to set up, great coverage, very clear (albeit SD) picture and and possibly really gets on Murdoch's tits ... A no lose scenario.
If you still want to watch F1 live over the next few years it's deffo worth it. :B

FastFret

Re: Just out of interest (another TV broadcast thread)

Post by FastFret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am

When you say "cheap to set up", how much are we talking?

Bulge100

Re: Just out of interest (another TV broadcast thread)

Post by Bulge100 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Depends on what you already have and how much effort you want to make :D
When I first set it up at my last house I had nothing so bought a dish kit with tuner from B&Q for about £40.
I was living in a Victorian terrace and didn't fancy killing myself whilst installing it just for the sake of pissing Bernie and Count Skybastard off so I paid for it to be installed (about £90) job done for a few years.
When I moved house the previous owner kindly left an old Sky minidish on the wall. I paid the same guy £40 to align it but needn't have bothered. It took about 20 seconds.
If you have a new TV with a satellite input/built in tuner all you need to do is run a cable from the dish and make sure the dish is pointing to Astra 19.2e.
You can install it yourself to cut costs. I was just lazy and left it to the last minute so got someone in.
RTL have just extended their FTA contract for a few more years so quids in.
Basically - If you have a spare dish and already have a modern TV with built in tuner there is practically no cost as long as you can be bothered to do the hard work of aligning the dish.

If you don't have the gear it can be bought cheaply on the interweb. :)