Force India saved

F1 news and discussions
Snap Matt

Force India saved

Post by Snap Matt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Excellent news, on the whole. Great for their staff, their creditors and anyone that didn't want to see a reduced grid. Hopefully they can bring some performance to the car now if the stories are true about them having upgrades on the drawing board waiting for the funds to allow their production.

The presence of Lawrence Stroll in the consortium rescuing the team must make it virtually certain that his son will move to the team next year (I guess the rename will finally go ahead between now and then too). Maybe Lance has really suffered from the specific problems with this year's Williams, but it seems more likely to me that he just isn't all that great and that is going to harm the team's ability to score points as effectively as it has done in recent years. What sort of a hole that, plus Martini abandoning F1, is going to make in Williams' finances is quite worrying too.

ale

Re: Force India saved

Post by ale » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Snap Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Maybe Lance has really suffered from the specific problems with this year's Williams, but it seems more likely to me that he just isn't all that great
With that Merc engine you'd expect both drivers, inexperienced as they are to be troubling the (minor) points board at least 50% of the races but that's not happened at all. I do believe that they do have serious aero/chassis problems.

Not making excuses for Stroll, I don't believe he's in anyway "all that great" but this years Williams is compounding that.

Back on topic, yes, good news for the staff and creditors for all involved with the current Force India company and to retain a team on the grid.
I can't see that any team isn't now without intrinsic value as there are only ten left so the prize fund access and freight should* be worth buying into.

Sure as eggs are chips I can't also not imagine Lance being in that team next year.
Will we see Stroll in a Force Stroll? :lol:

*Depending on the level of debt.

funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

But what happens to Williams....? Without strolls money can they survive in their current form?

peggy

Post by peggy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:46 am

ale wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm
Snap Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Maybe Lance has really suffered from the specific problems with this year's Williams, but it seems more likely to me that he just isn't all that great
With that Merc engine you'd expect both drivers, inexperienced as they are to be troubling the (minor) points board at least 50% of the races but that's not happened at all. I do believe that they do have serious aero/chassis problems.

Not making excuses for Stroll, I don't believe he's in anyway "all that great" but this years Williams is compounding that.

Back on topic, yes, good news for the staff and creditors for all involved with the current Force India company and to retain a team on the grid.
I can't see that any team isn't now without intrinsic value as there are only ten left so the prize fund access and freight should* be worth buying into.

Sure as eggs are chips I can't also not imagine Lance being in that team next year.
Will we see Stroll in a Force Stroll? :lol:

*Depending on the level of debt.
Would we? Do we not now see the Ferrari engine as best? Which, with their 2 customer teams, means the 2 customer Merc teams are struggling to even score points.... It certainly explains Haas' leap in performance and how even Ericson has managed to point score this year...

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:35 pm

So the cost of adding two almost random words to the title of the most randomly named team on the grid was to throw away all constructor points earned to date (I know that legally this was due to them acquiring the assets of the company, rather than being able to buy the company itself). Why they have retained the Force India part at all is beyond me.

I haven't seen it referred to elsewhere but, apart from dropping them down to tenth in the standings for a while, will that not also mean that the team won't earn much from their final position in the standings as the team payments are based on the placings over two years? I guess Mr Stroll has deep enough pockets for it so I won't feel too bad for him.

I hope Bob Fernley finds a new position quickly too as he generally seemed like a decent guy and must have been with the team since Eddie Jordan's days.

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Oh, so the other teams have agreed they can keep positions from previous years and it is just the 2018 points to date that have gone. As ever, the only predictable thing in F1 is who can win.

peggy

Post by peggy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

It seems a bit unsportsmanlike to deduct all the WCC points from the team. Even more bizarre is that the drivers can keep theirs for WDC. It may be all due to the legalities of it but try explaining that to a casual fan!!! Really does make no sense and doesn't really seem that fair to me. They were doing a reasonable job but won't be rewarded for that come the end of year standings. :unsure:

peggy

Post by peggy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm

The WCC standings on F1.com still have Force India listed. Are they going to leave them there all season and have the new points accumulated under the new name? Seems a bit clumsy...