anyone up for a bit of Brazil?

F1 news and discussions
ale

anyone up for a bit of Brazil?

Post by ale » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Here we go, awful anthem time, ready for a race?

ale

Re: anyone up for a bit of Brazil?

Post by ale » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I know the english spelling's Brasil.....but it does look right americanized

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

10:30 was too late for me last night so I haven't watched anything beyond a few clips yet. Sounds like it was an entertaining one anyway and I'm looking forward to catching up later.

Red Bull are doing well at the moment and people keep getting excited about the potential for next year's Honda engine. It just seems to me that two trends are going to have to be reversed for that to all come good; Red Bull seem to go very aggressive on its power unit packaging which some claim is a contributor to their reliability issues, while Honda have previously demonstrated an ability to take backward steps over the winter. The second point there is probably more of a McLaren thing with the two parties failing to work together properly, but I do wonder if the pressure for Red Bull to at least maintain their position could somewhat undermine things with Honda.

peggy

Post by peggy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Not saying I think Ocon did it on purpose, but I do agree with Jollyone Palmer that if that had been Hamilton he wouldn't even have tried it. A problem with the junior teams set up

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am

peggy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm
Not saying I think Ocon did it on purpose, but I do agree with Jollyone Palmer that if that had been Hamilton he wouldn't even have tried it. A problem with the junior teams set up
Palmer's point wasn't about the team that Ocon is driving for; it was more about the personal history between Ocon and Verstappen. They have been fighting for years, often with Ocon coming out on top but now he's out of a drive... unless you meant the problem with junior teams is that their existence is screwing up careers before they're barely started now. The crash happened because Ocon thought he could show that he is still better than Verstappen; not unlike the way he regularly has tried to demonstrate his superiority as a driver over Perez with similar results. I suspect he is fundamentally correct in both cases but apparently not by enough to have avoided trouble and these events could easily add up to deny him the chance to redeem himself.

I don't think there are any examples of junior teams definitely interfering in races for the benefit of their factory counterparts, but it feels like the allegations arise in more races than not these days. Maybe a new financial structure and regulations after 2020 will make it viable for independent teams to succeed in F1... that seems like a hard place to get to. I fear truly independent teams will become even rarer as time goes by.

peggy

Post by peggy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Snap Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am
peggy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm
Palmer's point wasn't about the team that Ocon is driving for; it was more about the personal history between Ocon and Verstappen. They have been fighting for years, often with Ocon coming out on top but now he's out of a drive... unless you meant the problem with junior teams is that their existence is screwing up careers before they're barely started now. The crash happened because Ocon thought he could show that he is still better than Verstappen; not unlike the way he regularly has tried to demonstrate his superiority as a driver over Perez with similar results. I suspect he is fundamentally correct in both cases but apparently not by enough to have avoided trouble and these events could easily add up to deny him the chance to redeem himself.

I don't think there are any examples of junior teams definitely interfering in races for the benefit of their factory counterparts, but it feels like the allegations arise in more races than not these days. Maybe a new financial structure and regulations after 2020 will make it viable for independent teams to succeed in F1... that seems like a hard place to get to. I fear truly independent teams will become even rarer as time goes by.
I think Jollyone did make both points. The way Ocon leapt out of the way at Monaco (just for example) and that wasn't even for being laped, that was for position, indicates which side his bread is buttered. I think both factors played a part in Ocon's mentality but he is starting to come across as a bit frustrated; even as a Perez fan I was definitely able to place some of the blame for previous crashes at Checo's door hopwever the fact is that, if the move is even a little bit risky, you shouldn't be trying it with your teammate. I was expecting Checo might be getting trounced by Ocon in the WDC this year, given that Ocon clearly has more raw speed, but this isn't the case, and this year it can't be put down to Ocon's inexperience. I'm just not convinced he's the total package some believe him to be.

I didn't mean that about junior teams but yes, I suppose so. Whatever happened to Werhlein? The same may happen to Ocon now that Russell will be in the sport.