Facebook

Come here to let off steam about anything that is bothering you, but please be aware that the language may be a bit "colourful"
herb

Facebook

Post by herb » Wed May 29, 2019 11:37 am

:whistling:

I was surprised to see this hadn't been discussed on here, as its growth probably caused a big downturn in how much people now use chatrooms.

I deleted my Facebook in March this year, I'd had it for 10 years and found that whenever I used it I genuinely felt worse afterwards. On occasion I'd catch up with an old school mate on messenger which was good or even get some good jokes, but by far the majority of the time I'd log out of Facebook feeling like I wasn't doing or achieving enough in comparison to my peers ... it was making me socially competitive. Incidentally, even through all the crap we used to have with the Blag (insanity F1 etc) I always felt a buzz from it, chatting with like minded people about a subject we were all passionate about.

I see comments (as I'm sure we all have) about the dangers of Facebook and how addictive it is, for example Tim Berners Lee and other key people feel it is not really in the spirit of what the internet was designed for, and I kind of agree.

Getting people together online is great, but I think it only works positively if they do it over a shared interest. I appreciate Facebook has a plethora or groups for every interest, but people don't USE Facebook for that alone, they use it to talk about crap they would most likely only have told their closest mates 20 years ago. I find it brings out attention seeking (a need to be popular), I know I have behaved like that on there, it seems to bring out a more negative side of human nature.

Add that to the lack of privacy on data (and a lot of search agencies use facebook to investigate people) and I wonder how it's changing society and how humans interact with each other for the worse.

I have to say, since deleting my Facebook I have loads more time to do real things rather than spend time staring at a screen being given dubious information; my house is nearly done, I actually go out and meet old mates rather than sending them a private message, and I am getting much more out of life full stop! I didn't use it that much, maybe an hour a day (god that sounds like an addict) but my life is better for deleting it, and I'm happier aswell.

I think that in the future social media will evolve to be interest specific, just like chatrooms, and general moany ones like Facebook (who I see as an online "points of view") will start to decline in useage as people will find their niche on other sites.

What do you think? :ph34r: :whistling:

herb

Re: Facebook

Post by herb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:50 pm

I saw some more stories about Facebook this week and was rather surprised.

Firstly, there are stories going round that they may remove "likes" from the view of "friends" (ie the user can still see how many likes a post has, but everyone else can't) citing mental health reasons (see story).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/98575 ... instagram/ (it's also on other news sites)

I don't understand their justification, as this action would only improve the mental health of users if (a) no-one could see the likes total including the user whose post it is, and (b) this is one major way Facebook justifies rates to advertisers - clicks.

Secondly, stories about an unsecured server with millions of phone numbers that could have been hacked. It seems Facebook aren't paying attention to security, given all the staff they have is this acceptable? Even a small firm would consider this very bad news, yet Facebook seem less concerned.

Thirdly, on the back of that, they are starting a dating section (more clicks for advertisers and users too boost their stats to sell ads).

It really seems that Facebook only pretend to care about the security and mental health of their users, and any noise they make to do otherwise always seems to be a way of getting more data from the users.

I can see why Facebook would want to try a dating section, and even a crypto-currency as they have the numbers to literally chuck a load of shit at the wall and get revenue on the back of it.
The downside seems to be deteriorating mental health of a lot of users, and in the end Facebook still has no purpose ... it trades on human beings' insecurities and need to be liked/wanted.

I'm sure some bright spark will one day create something similar yet different, I can't wait for it to happen :thumbs: