Ricciardo to leave Red Bull at end of 2018 season

F1 news and discussions
r2d2

Ricciardo to leave Red Bull at end of 2018 season

Post by r2d2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Red Bull say Ricciardo is leaving them at the end of this season:

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/artic ... leave-team

Not what most people were expecting. Most news articles suggesting he has signed to Renault. I guess a straight swap between him and Sainz is most likely if that's the case.

Seems like a backward step to me if he does go to Renault. He's already had to live with the perfomance and lack of reliability of the Renault engine, why sign up for more? A big pay cheque, perhaps, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it if that means a move down the grid.

r2d2

Re: Ricciardo to leave Red Bull at end of 2018 season

Post by r2d2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Now confirmed at Renault for 2019/2020:

https://www.renaultsport.com/daniel-ric ... 31&lang=en

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 pm

He's "sort of" done well at RBR but was overshadowed by both his team mates. That won't change so he needs to move on. There are few places worth moving to, so he needs to go somewhere where there is a chance of the team moving up the grid. It won't be McLaren or Williams, Force India is bankrupt, Torro Rosso? Don't be silly. That leaves Haas, Sauber or Renault. I'd choose the factory outfit, wouldn't you?

Snap Matt

Post by Snap Matt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 am

Ricciardo had almost become the new Webber for Red Bull. They seem to be paying Max for what he is expected to be rather than what he has done; it doesn't reflect the points tallies yet. Melbourne aside, I guess Max is selling more tickets and merchandise. Daniel's complaints in Austria didn't bode well for signing a new contract but it was hard to see where he would go.

He is clearly hoping for the Hamilton effect of making a move that everyone thinks is a bit insane but pays off in the end. The situations don't really compare with the 2021 regulations still to be defined, let alone prepared for - though Renault are possibly the only team currently committed to F1 at that time. I was about to suggest that Ricciardo will still get a podium for Renault before Hulkenburg does, but that would just guarantees a shock result before in the next few races - a fortunate call in a wet Spa perhaps.

At least there is one person in the Red Bull team that will occasionally avoid making rude comments about Renault at the slightest opportunity for the rest of the season.

JMFangio

Post by JMFangio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 pm

I would so love for Hulk to get a podium this year and yes, Spa is a good call.

kamui

Post by kamui » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 am

Thought after Baku he would look to get out even if merc and ferrari didnt want to take him, as it was well clear Max was the golden child who can do no wrong and will be backedall the way.

ale

Post by ale » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Looks very much like a sideways move.

Renault, not that good but improving. Works team an' all

Red Bull, not great, but odd win for the team, supposedly hampered by Renault, powered Honda works team next year, can they get worse?

Maybe something to look forward to next year, Ric with 21 eigth place finishes with the odd retirement, Verstappen with one 8th place finish and 20 retirements.

Time will tell :D